You are going to love this recipe! This is my go-to for work morning tea as it's a crowd pleaser, even with people that don't generally like date loaf.
8 dates, halved with stones removed
1 1/2 teaspoons bicarbonate soda
1 cup boiling water
1 cup self raising flour
1/2 cup plain flour
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1. Add prunes and bicarbonate soda to a bowl with boiling water. Stir and let sit for 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile beat butter, egg and sugar until well combined.
3. With clean hands (they should be already though!) take the dates and tear into small pieces in the water. Add dates with water to the butter mixture.
4. Sift in flours and mix well.
5. Line a loaf tin with baking paper and bake at 170C for 35 minutes. Check with skewer to ensure cooked through.
6. Serve and enjoy!