It's come to that exciting time of the year again, where people are getting outdoors again, having picnics and celebrating Spring!
I made these scones recently to celebrate a friends birthday recently. They're simple to make and taste so fresh! Best served straight out of the oven.
2 cups mixed berries, frozen and roughly chopped
2 & 1/2 cups self raising flour
2 heaped tablespoons raw sugar
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup margarine
1 & 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 180c.
2. Combine flour, sugar, and a shake of salt in a bowl. Add butter and mix with your fingers until well combined.
3. Add buttermilk, egg and vanilla essence, stir. Add chopped frozen berries and mix gently so you don't crush the berries.
4. Using a tablespoon scoop a spoonful out and lightly flour. Between the palms of your hands press the mixture out until approx 1cm thick.
5. Place on lined baking tray with 2 finger spaces between each one. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
Serve with jam and whipped cream!
* if you want them to look 'prettier' roll the mixture onto a floured surface and use a cookie cutter for a perfect shape.